Lately, I’ve been feeling alone. My dreams seem so far away. My goals seem impossible. I have lost the contentment I thought possessed. Maybe it’s a mid-twenties thing. You know, when you thought you would be much further in life. Life is not easy. Nor is the feeling of discontent.
Contentment. Not only being okay with what you have, but being happy and thankful. That’s hard. But Christ gives me strength. So, instead of complaining about what I don’t have, here is a list of things I am thankful for.
- I have a wonderful family. No really, my family is huge. We take care of each other. If I am ever in need, I know I have a great family that will help. This includes my family and my husband’s family. I love them all very, very much.
- I have a supporting husband. He has never doubted my ability to follow my dreams. He has never said a discouraging word to me. He’s my biggest fan.
- I have the most real parents you could meet. They don’t sugar coat anything, and I need that bluntness in my life. I am a dreamer and sometimes I need a dose of reality. They love me, and they want to see me succeed, and so they show me the obstacles I face when I can’t see them.
- I have a wise sister. Whenever I feel lost I know I can call her and she will be my compass pointing me to Jesus. She shows me love and patience. I always feel at peace after our talks.
- I have a beautiful friend. She has opened her home to me and I am so thankful. We are roomies once again. Whenever we are having a bad day, we get cookie dough and sparkling grape juice and just talk. She’s there for me when I need her.
- I have a small group of friends. These are my friends that I can call, even though it may have been years since we last spoke, and chat it up like we were never apart.
- My business is growing. I am opening a new portrait business soon and creating projects as you read this. My dreams may seem impossible, but with God all things are possible.
- I have a car. I know this sounds odd, but my husband and I lived with one car for three years. We finally were able to get another car on New Year’s Eve. This has given me so much more mobility to build my business.
- I am not alone. I know there are other people out there struggling. Others who are saying, “Why am I not there yet?” Life isn’t a race, it’s a journey. There has never been a specified time for anything to happen in your life. We think that we need to be successful by this age, have a family by this age, have a house by this age, have a best selling book by this age, etc. I’ve slowly realized that we don’t. There is no set time when we have to do all of these things. They happen when they happen. It’s nice to chase dreams, but let’s not give up simply because we didn’t catch them when we thought we would.
- I have a mighty God. He never leaves me. Even though sometimes I feel alone, I know he’s there, because he has promised to be there. He gives good things to me when I’m undeserving. He has given me everything in this list of blessings. He has worked miracles, and I trust Him to lead me. I tend to rush things, and He tells me to slow down and appreciate what I have. He tells me to be still and know that He is God. Anything is possible, and He will work it out to my benefit.
Let’s not give up. Let’s keep our noses to the grindstone. I am not alone. You are not alone. We are in this together. Let’s go.